Boiler initially stays on low fire

All things central heating!! Radiators, valves, pipework and any other issues, come on in and ask, we are here to help!

Postby Bud57 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:20 am

I’ve had an ongoing problem with my Vaillant ecotec plus 824 boiler over the last couple of winters. When you first call for heating the boiler seems to stay on low fire for up to 30mins and the radiators are only Luke warm even though there is plenty of demand. This doesn’t happen every time but more often than not. Recently had the diverted valve replaced after it failed and was hoping this may solve the problem but it hasn’t. The system has new radiators and is clean. Could it be a flow switch issue ? Would be grateful if anyone had any ideas.
Bud57

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Boiler initially stays on low fire

Postby kfordgas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum
How old is the boiler?? If it is fairly recent it may be stuck in a low rate for heating. Modern Vaillant boilers learn and adapt to the system they are fitted to. It may think you have a small system and hence is only outputting a small amount of energy.

This can be reset but involves pushing of several buttons.

Thanks
kfordgas

Postby Bud57 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi, thanks for you quick reply. The boiler was fitted in 2012. I moved in in 2013 and have since added 5 rads to the system. I’m not sure if the boiler’s always done this but has certainly done so the last couple of years.
Bud57

Postby kfordgas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:19 am

If you can get the boiler GC number located underneath the boiler a little more advice may be offered, there are several variants of this boiler
kfordgas

Postby Bud57 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 pm

The GC No is 47-044-40
Bud57

Postby kfordgas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 pm

As I suspected, this boiler adapts to the system when turned on for the first time. If you have added radiators this may have upset the pre determined calculation. There are two possible ways to overcome this, but this involves going into the installer settings in the menu. I cannot tell you how to do this, but a quick google search will point you in the right direction.

Try here;
https://www.vaillant.co.uk/downloads/ec ... 261417.pdf

(you can easily adjust the wrong setting and mess up operation) Go to d.96 and reset the boiler, this may work. Failing that, run the installation assistant through the installer settings and this should work out the new heat requirements for the now larger system.
thanks
kfordgas

Postby Bud57 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks again for your help. Will have a look but probably leave it to the summer as would be in deep trouble if I messed up the heating now. Once the heating goes to high fire it runs fine.
Bud57

Return to Central Heating Questions