Biasi Boiler/Indirect water cylinder and digi timer

Fires, cookers, water heaters, anything else??? Ask away!! We'll do our best!

Postby paddyc » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi there,

I live in a rented house but will very soon be buying. I have owned previous houses with normal combi boilers which have been very straightforward to understand and operate. However with the size of the house I'm in now (4 bedroom with 3 baths) I am confused as to how this different setup is working. The cylinder is heated from the 28kW Biasi Riva Plus boiler and it has a storage temp stat and backup electric element at the bottom. Only the stat has electricity connected to it.

The CH and DHW timings are set via a separate digital timer (non-thremostat). The CH and DHW loops are controlled by electric isolation valves. Everything is installed in the garage.

There are a few things that confuse me about it...

In spite of the good weather since I moved in in April, my gas and electricity consumption has been quite high despite me being very mindful of the timings on both CH and DHW. I have narrowed it down to the boiler as it seems to be "On" quite a lot of the time when I don't call for it to be on. I cannot actually recall seeing the boiler at "Idle" as it always seems to be doing something... Plus I always seem to have very hot water even after I recently came home from holiday and the hot water was still hot despite being set to off for over 13 hours!

How long do cylinders take to cool down?

I have some other questions but already this is a lot of reading so I'm hoping someone can get back to me... I'll provide any info needed to get my head around this setup, I've got photos as well. Many thanks in advance ;)
paddyc

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Biasi Boiler/Indirect water cylinder and digi timer

Postby kfordgas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum
It may be a thermal store you have. Give us the name on the cylinder and we may be able to help you a little more.
Thanks
kfordgas

Postby paddyc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:47 pm

kfordgas wrote:Hello and a warm welcome to the forum
It may be a thermal store you have. Give us the name on the cylinder and we may be able to help you a little more.
Thanks

It's a Telford Tempest Stainless cylinder.
250 ltrs.

The digital timer is a Grasslin Towerchron QE2

I'm off to download a PDF for the timer as I have just set the heating back to off using the timer programme but it is remaining on... I only set it on for an hour yesterday to dry the post holiday washing loads! But I reckon the heating will stay on and the changes I've made might not take effect straight away...

Many thanks for the response and for the welcome 8-)
paddyc

Postby kfordgas » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:09 pm

That sounds like an unvented cylinder, which is a very efficient setup. Yours however, at 250 litres is a large tank due to the number of bathrooms. From what you describe, one of the valves (the control actuators on the pipework) may be sticking on, or the immersion heater may be left turned on. Turn off the programmer and use your hot water as normal until you run the tank cold. If however the tank remains warm, you know for sure there is a problem somewhere as described.
kfordgas

Postby paddyc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks very much for that response. I think I have narrowed it down to the control valve between the boiler and the tank. I've informed my landlord so will see how things go. It would be nice to see my energy consumption go down since it appears that if that valve is faulty I am unnecessarily constantly heating a large tank of water!! I cannot remember going without hot water and I am a shift worker so I could demand a shower etc anytime around the clock!!

Will let you know how it develops. A "stuck open" valve is a bit trickier to diagnose than a "stuck closed" one :lol:
paddyc

Return to Other gas appliances