Boiler CM emmissions plooming downwards

Any questions, queries? We will try to help you out as best as we can!

Postby HolyMilkman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi,

I live in a ground floor maisonette and have noticed over recent weeks that whenn the fella upstairs uses his boiler the emmissions from the flue almost always come down into my yard and on occasion into my home.

I know he had a new boiler fitted a year ago, and the existing flue was left in place. No up close external inspection of the install was done as there is no access below without prior request.

Is it routine for a new boiler install to use an existing flue? And is it not one of the safety checks that the work has to be inspected externally, not from 30 yards away at ground level?

He has declined a safety inspection from Gas Safe today, who aren't filling me with much confidence so far. I have them coming out Friday to 'inspect' it from my property but if it isn't in use that will be quite pointless, and merely a box-ticking exercise. I just want to be as clued up as poss so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

warm regards,

Paul
HolyMilkman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Boiler CM emmissions plooming downwards

Postby kfordgas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum
If a new boiler was fitted it should usually have a new flue to go with it. The only exception was if a relatively new boiler was being replaced with the exact same model and it could be proved the flue was safe for use and fit for purpose. However in your case I doubt this is the case. Hence the rejection of the gas safe inspection.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, a new flue can be installed by pushing it from inside to outside, so this may be the case. If the fumes are causing a nuisance, the flue can be diverted on some boilers but you would need to discuss this with the owner of the property.

Thanks
kfordgas

Re: Boiler CM emmissions plooming downwards

Postby HolyMilkman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:42 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The original boiler and flue was installed in 1997. The replacement boiler last Spring.

I have contacted the EA now as the property owner is completely unwilling to acknowledge any potential issue.
HolyMilkman

Return to General Questions